Sunday, February 20, 2011

Music Is Important.

It's simple, really. I mean, not that anybody else will, but I do care. I have a bunch of awesome crap that I care about, and it could be something that you care about. Probably not; but just in case you do, I'll go ahead and share it.

For starters, I care about music a great deal. I'd say 80% of the music I really care about will not line up with the general public. I try not to go all elitist about it, but it might come across that way because of the indie/underground/local nature of the bands and the strange genres and severe lack of radio play. Long story short, I just think some of the greatest musical talent comes from artistic individuals with complete control over their creations, rather than artistic individuals who are paid large sums of money by somebody else to make music that some d-bag decided everybody should like. Granted, some great tunes can even come out of the scenario, but you have to admit, some sounds are really overdone and commonplace. I'd like to think that independent artists can bring something new to the world and receive some substantial recognition for it.

This is not to say that I don't appreciate some very big artists. I am crazy about some of the most popular musicians in the world. There is no denying that some things are just really good. To me, it's all about the integrity of the project and, really, whether it moves me.

Finally, I will admit, I have been in several bands, am currently in a couple, and plan to be in more. I, of course, would like to think that someday my own efforts are recognized. I just don't have the financial support that the big shots do. So, with a very small audience at my disposal, all I can do is love what I create and hope others care enough to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment